Flowers are a true gift from Mother Nature – delicate and beautiful, they make every season feel better and they help us feel closer to nature even when we’re indoors.
Of course, as the bride and groom, you will want to make sure your wedding flowers look really beautiful – but even more than that, you might want to consider the symbolism behind the flowers you incorporate in your wedding décor too.
What do some of the most popular wedding blooms actually mean? We have some tips for you – continue reading to find out more.
- Probably one of the single most romantic flowers that has ever graced our eyes, roses are actually more than just a symbol of “love” in general. In fact, each color represents something different – white is all about pure love, red is all about passion, and yellow is all about youthfulness, energy, and joy (but it used to be all about jealousy, actually).
- Baby breaths. These lovely little white blooms are extremely popular and for a long list of reasons: they look excellent in combination with other flowers as well as on their own, they are delicate and sweet, and they are affordable too. Even more, they symbolize innocence, which makes them more than appropriate for a wedding.
- Lovely and full of life, versatile especially due to the large variety of colors they come in, and a more than amazing option for a fall wedding, chrysanthemums are excellent for this kind of event from the point of view of their symbolism too. Namely, these flowers stand for wealth and abundance – two hopes every newly married couple has for their future, right?
- One of the best spring flowers, daffodils represent kind regards and happiness – two vibes you definitely want to bring into your wedding. Combined with the fact that these beautiful yellow (or white) blooms are fairly affordable when in season, there’s absolutely no reason you wouldn’t want to consider them at least for a Big Day in spring time.
Looking for a lovely wedding venue in Virginia? Contact Black Horse Inn! Romantic, full of history, and in full tune with the gorgeous nature surrounding us, our purpose here is to make sure every couple who chooses us is truly happy on their wedding day. Give us a call and learn more about what we offer!
Proposing to the one you love is such a beautiful and unforgettable moment. Of course, you will want to plan everything down to the smallest detail – but of all the details, the ring is by far the most important one.
What if you don’t want to get a diamond ring? Are there any alternatives to classic diamonds when it comes to engagement rings – and is it acceptable to offer an engagement ring without an actual diamond?
We have some tips for you – so read on and find out more.
- In short, yes, it is more than acceptable to offer an engagement ring that doesn’t feature a diamond. There might be a thousand reasons behind this: she doesn’t like diamonds, other stones look better, you prefer to save your money for the wedding and get her another precious stone that’s more affordable, and so on.
- For instance, white emeralds can look really pretty. Although not as reflective as diamonds, white emeralds possess a kind of uniqueness that’s truly fantastic. They are versatile and can be incorporated in a wide range of ring designs. Even more, they are less expensive than a big diamond would be – making them a really good ally for grooms-to-be on a budget.
- If you want something even more affordable but really beautiful, Swarovski crystals are worth looking into. In fact, Swarovski crystals were created to be a “diamond for anyone” – so at their very foundation, they are meant to replace the shine and glamor of a diamond, but for a far more affordable price.
- You don’t have to look for stones that mimic diamonds in any way, especially if you think it wouldn’t suit your loved one. Stunning ruby engagement rings, emerald engagement rings, sapphire engagement rings and even semi-precious stones on engagement rings – they are all a possibility, and they can look absolutely breath taking. At the end of the day, what you want is an engagement ring that makes your significant other feel truly happy with the ring you put on her finger – and if colored stones are what she wants, she should definitely receive something that suits her style.
Looking for a beautiful wedding venue in Virginia? Contact Black Horse Inn and allow us to be the ones who help you host the biggest and most unforgettable event of your life!
Some couples like to do everything the traditional way. They like to date for a given number of years, and maybe move in together for a couple of years before they get engaged. They like to put a ring on it, throw a big party, and only then start to plan the wedding.
That’s all perfectly fine – but if you want to save yourself a lot of time (and potentially some money too by being an early bird), you can definitely start planning some of the wedding elements before you even say yes to the diamond ring.
How come? And what are some of the tasks you can definitely handle before the engagement proper?
Continue reading to find out more.
- You can take care of a lot of basic wedding planning tasks before the engagement because there’s a high chance you already know the engagement is going to happen. Sure, you might not know how it will happen, when, or where – but even so, you both know you are ready to take it to the next step. So why not leave the engagement be a nice surprise while also tackling some of the most fundamental wedding planning issues?
- For instance, you can talk about how you want your wedding to be – and how to meet halfway (because yes, there’s a pretty high chance you’ll have to meet halfway between a Star Wars-themed wedding and an opulent wall arrangement of flowers for the wedding ceremony background).
- You can also talk about the size of your wedding. Chances are you’re already on the same page here – but if you aren’t, talking about this now will give you plenty of time to find a compromise and to settle things in a direction you are both happy with.
- Some couples even discuss their wedding venue. Since you know the rough size of your wedding and you know what you are looking for, you can already create the venue shortlist – and you can even make some calls, visit some locations, and even book the wedding venue itself. Let the ring come later – you have just tackled one of the absolutely essential elements of the Big Day!
Looking for a really beautiful wedding venue in Virginia? Contact Black Horse Inn and come see what we offer – you will LOVE it here so much!
Here at Black Horse Inn, we believe every couple is special – and they deserve their love story to be conveyed in an equally special way, both during the wedding ceremony and during the reception.
Of course, you can personalize your wedding in a million ways – and most etiquette and tradition rules are now very flexible. However, some rules stay – so it’s of the utmost importance for you to plan a wedding ceremony where these rules are followed, especially if you want to make sure you don’t offend anyone during such a special moment in your life.
What are some of the very important ceremony etiquette rules to keep in mind? Read on and find out more.
- You can walk down the aisle with your father, with both of your parents, your mother, a stepparent, an uncle, and you can even do it alone. Everyone has their own story – and if your father can’t be at the wedding, or if you simply don’t want to embrace this tradition, you are free to set your own rules. However, please keep in mind that if your father will be at the ceremony, you might want to give him another special role (e.g. to do a reading), so that he doesn’t feel excluded from a moment that’s just as special to him as it is to you.
- Having a Ring Bearer is an adorable choice. However, if your Ring Bearer is very young and you’re afraid he might lose the rings, you can definitely give him something else to carry down the aisle (flowers, a cute sign, an empty box, etc.). Also, if you want to assign this role to someone who is older than 12-13, you might want to reconsider and make them a Junior Groomsman or a Groomsman (even if they are the youngest ones in the groom’s party).
- Unless you want a religious wedding in a church, there’s a very good chance you can get a friend to be ordained and ask them to officiate the wedding. In Virginia, this can be done online as well – but our advice is to make sure you check all the laws in your state to know for certain.
Looking for a splendid wedding venue in Virginia? Contact Black Horse Inn and come check out our charming wedding venue filled with history and romantic touches. You will LOVE it here!
There couldn’t be anything more perfect for fall other than an apple-infused event. This fruit lies at the very foundation of what fall is all about – and it’s the kind of fruit every single person knows and loves in its varied ways.
How to include apples into your Big Day in Virginia? We have some tips for you – keep on reading and find out more about this.
- Apple centerpieces. You may be used with centerpieces being comprised mostly out of flowers and greenery – but fruit can be added too! Imagine a lush red apple garland used as your wedding centerpiece – wouldn’t it look really impressive? We bet your guests will love the sight of this – and if they can grab an apple as a wedding favor (or just as a treat), it’s even better.
- Pin your escort cards on them. If you want to create an escort card display that will be really appreciated by guests, take a bunch of apples and pin your cards in them. Then, arrange the apples at the entrance in the reception space. You can do many creative things with this arrangement, so don’t be afraid to think out of the box!
- Serve them as a drink. Apple ciders are highly appreciated by pretty much everyone – and the hot version is just the kind of drink your guests need on a cool winter day. The flavor, the spices, the warmth of this drink – they will comfort people and make them feel good. And that is precisely what you want your hot special drink to do, right?
- Serve them as a sweet treat. Apples are sweet, yes, but if you want to go beyond their natural sweetness, we suggest candied apples. This traditional festival treat is bound to attract everyone, regardless of their age or regardless of what kind of treats they normally reach out to. Serve candied apples for your wedding as a late night snack and you will definitely fuel your guests s for a couple more rounds of dancing and fun!
Looking for a really impressive wedding venue in Virginia? Contact Black Horse Inn and allow us to be the ones who help you host a delightful, unforgettable Big Day – the kind people will be talking about again and again, years from now. Contact us and we guarantee you will love it here!
Your wedding is bound to be one of the most amazing and exciting days of your life – and, as a groom, you want everything to move smoothly. Yes, most of the people focus on the bride on this special day.
However, that doesn’t mean you won’t be anxious and downright stressed about the upcoming Big Day.
What are some of the things you should definitely remember to do on the morning of this special event?
We have some tips for you – continue reading and find out more.
- Start the day with a nutritious breakfast. Given how stressful weddings can be, we can totally understand why you might not be very hungry. However, keep in mind that it is highly likely that you won’t get much time for eating during the reception – and you need all the energy you can gather to navigate this ultra-special (and extremely demanding) day.
- Gather your friends and have some fun. Leave stress behind by spending time with your groomsmen. It doesn’t have to be something huge – maybe clinking a glass or two (but no more than that because you want to be actually sober as you wait for your bride at the altar!). Shoot some photos, share some memories, say some jokes. Make this a special moment for you and for your friends too. It will take your mind off all the stressful things ahead of you.
- Double check your suit. Is everything alright with it? Are there any stains? Does it look good? Take your time putting it on – this is more than just dressing up for the wedding. It is a ritual for a once in a lifetime kind of event – something you will always remember. Enjoy every second of it!
- Surprise your future spouse. Send her a love letter written from the heart. It can be romantic, funny, sweet, and sentimental at the same time. Have it delivered to her on the morning of the wedding – she will definitely appreciate your little surprise and it will make these moments all the more special for both of you!
Looking for a really pretty wedding venue in Virginia? Contact Black Horse Inn and allow us to be the ones who delight you and your guests with a space that’s romantic, beautiful, and really special. Contact us and we guarantee you will never regret this!
If there’s one thing everyone can agree on when it comes to weddings, it is this: they are stressful.
In fact, even psychologists agree that a wedding can be one of the most stressful events in the life of a human being.
It is natural, then, that people closely involved in the planning of the Big Day will sooner or later be taken over by stress – and yes, this includes your Maid of Honor too. After all, she wants you to be really happy on your Big Day and she wants to do everything in her power to make sure this happens.
And yes, this means that sometimes, she too might be stressed – and she might find herself at the core of a conflict with the bride herself.
What are some of the things you should do in such situations, as the bride?
We have some tips for you – read on and find out more.
- Communicate with your Maid of Honor (or bridesmaid). This is the key to any successful human relationship on Earth. Talking with your Maid of Honor will help you get their point of view and see what it is that is bothering them. It might be something related to the wedding per se, something related to other participants in the wedding (e.g. his mother, or another bridesmaid), or it might simply be something that’s not connected to you or the wedding at all.
- Go deep, to understand the real WHY. If your Maid of Honor is upset because she hates the dress you asked her to wear, try to go deeper than that. Most often, this is not about the dress itself, but about the fact that you haven’t considered her, in particular, and the kind of clothes she usually wears. Of course, this is just an example – but understanding the deep WHY of your bridesmaids’ distress is important for the resolution of the conflict.
- More than anything, be a friend. Don’t be a bride worried her MoH will ruin her Big Day. Be a friend worried for another friend. Offer to help. Offer solutions. Offer your Maid of Honor a smile. It can make the world of a difference!
Looking for a truly romantic and beautiful wedding venue in Virginia? Contact Black Horse Inn and book us if you want to make sure your Big Day is actually UNFORGETTABLE!
Your wedding décor is important when it comes to setting the mood and making your entire wedding feel special. Of course, YOU should be the main influence of your entire wedding day and you should infuse it with your personality and style.
However, incorporating some seasonal elements will make your Big Day feel even more amazing and more harmonious and beautiful.
For instance, pumpkins can be a really amazing piece of wedding décor for fall. How to pull them off?
We have gathered some tips for you – continue reading if you’re looking for some inspiration.
- Replace the place card holders with mini pumpkins. This is such a cute way to bring pumpkins in your wedding! It can work for both brides who want their entire wedding to be infused with this motif and for brides who want to keep it low-key and minimalist. Just pin your place cards in these mini pumpkins (in their natural color or spray painted in gold for example) and they will look lovely!
- Replace the signs with pumpkins. A couple of large pumpkins painted in white can become such an amazing piece of décor! Write your special message on them – it can be something to help guests find what they are interested in (e.g. the wedding hashtag or just the entrance to the ceremony site), or it can be something sweet and romantic about weddings in general. Either way, it’s a wonderful idea!
- Blend them with the flowers. Want to incorporate pumpkins in your wedding flower arrangements? One of the best ways to do this is by blending them with the flowers – just create generous arrangements with seasonal blooms and use the pumpkins as part of the arrangements themselves. For something even more unique, carve pumpkins and use them as wedding vases.
- Use them on the dessert table. Of course, you are more than free to include pumpkin in the actual desserts, but how about using smaller ones for the candy bar table décor too? What could be more perfect for a fall wedding than this?
Still searching for a truly amazing wedding venue in Virginia? You MUST come and check out Black Horse Inn. Stunning regardless of the season, our venue is here to help you have the Big Day you have always dreamed of having.
Your wedding is a very, very important moment in your life – and it makes all the sense in the world that you want to spend this day surrounded by those you love and who love you back. Still, when it comes to drawing the basics of a guest list, things can get a little more complicated than many brides and grooms initially thought.
What are the people you should not include on your guest list, for example?
We have some tips for you – continue reading to find out more.
- People you are forced to invite, but don’t actually want there. It may be someone who’s always mean to you or someone whose presence you just don’t enjoy. It may be someone you haven’t seen in years or even decades, but your parents insist on inviting to the wedding. Whoever it may be and whatever situation has brought you to your decision, you don’t have to invite them if you don’t want them there.
- Your or your SO’s Ex. Sometimes, relationships end on good terms, but that doesn’t mean you should invite your Exes to your wedding. Even if you’re both OK with their presence, there’s a pretty high chance that there will be awkwardness between at least two people in the “triangle”. It’s probably best not to invite anyone you’ve ever dated.
- Co-workers you’re not friends with. If you hang out with your work colleagues outside of work, then yes, invite them to your wedding. If not, however, you really don’t have to – you don’t know them that well and they don’t know you that well either. Even more, if you are only close to one or two co-workers, you don’t have to invite the entire team – invite just those you actually want there.
- Anyone likely to bring drama into your Big Day. Some people are “drama queens” and while outside of your wedding day you might be able to handle that, you really don’t need the negativity and the extra-stress on your actual wedding day. Our advice is to skip inviting them to your wedding altogether.
Looking for an AMAZING wedding venue in Virginia? Contact Black Horse Inn and allow us to be the ones who host your most amazing life event! Contact us, come visit us, and convince yourself that WE are the best choice!
Every season has its own beauties – and that’s precisely why brides and grooms shouldn’t feel pushed into choosing spring or summer for their wedding day even if those seasons aren’t particularly suitable for them.
For example, what flowers can you choose for a fall or winter wedding in Virginia? We have some tips for you – so read on and find out more.
- Probably the most widespread and generous bloom of fall, Dahlias are a really lovely choice for pretty much every type of wedding. They come in a wide range of colors (white, yellow, orange, red, and even bright pink), they look rich, and they have a very playful, energizing appearance that will complement your Big Day in big style.
- Although it may not seem so, winter is very generous when it comes to the range of flower options. For starters, you have a lot of blue flowers to choose from – such as Forget Me Nots, Bachelor Buttons, Love in a Mist, and Hydrangeas. For a blue-purplish option that stands out in a very unique way, you can always settle on Honeyworts. And if you are looking for a whimsical option, you have Poppy Pods. For a delicate and feminine bouquet, you can definitely go for Sweet Peas.
- Go beyond actual flowers. You can create stunning arrangements and bouquets for a fall or winter wedding with a very small amount of blooms (or even without any kind of blooms). Greenery options are available during wintertime, and if you want to add just a touch of uniqueness and color to a simpler bouquet, you can always incorporate fruit. Yes, actual fruit works marvelously in cool season flower arrangements. Think beyond the already traditional pinecones and incorporate raspberries (excellent for the beginning and middle of fall) or crabapples. They look absolutely lovely and they can instantly turn a bouquet or flower arrangement into something unique, full of personality and beauty. Everyone will love the idea!
Looking for an amazing wedding venue in Virginia? As always, Black Horse Inn is here for you. Contact us today if you want to book a wedding venue that’s perfect from every point of view: splendid surroundings, powerful history embracing the place, and ultimate elegance on the indoors. Both you and your guests will DEFINITELY love spending the Big Day and celebrating under our roof!