The Black Horse Inn is named after the Black Horse Cavalry which was conceived at a gathering of Warrenton lawyers in 1858, one of the local companies called to active duty by Governor Henry Wise in 1859. The Black Horse Cavalry led a successful charge against Union forces at the First Battle of Manassas winning the special praise of Confederate President Jefferson Davis. Known as Company “H” of the 4th Virginia Cavalry, this unit served as bodyguard, escort and scout for General Stonewall Jackson and Joseph E. Johnston. Following the war, a number of the men of the Black Horse became prominent leaders in the Commonwealth.
The original part of the mansion was originally built in the 1850’s and the additions were added in the early 1900’s.
Recently restored, the Inn has nine rooms, all with their own private baths, many with four-poster canopy beds, Jacuzzi tubs and fireplaces. The Inn also accommodates horses in their stables for overnight visits. A perfect setting for weddings, our elegant wedding facility and gazebo makes the most beautiful focal point for photographs.
To read more about the Black Horse Inn, visit our full history page.